If, like me, you need something that is easy, requires no equipment or a specific location and will help you simplify what can only be described as complex say hello to your breath.
The 4 – 7 – 8 breathing or relaxing breath is your portable go-to remedy when everything else is looking … well different, hard, surreal and challenging.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight. This is one breath.
- Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
You are inhaling quietly through your nose and exhaling audibly through your mouth.
You may have played this game before if you enjoy yoga.
Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.
Why should you bother taking a moment?
4 – 7 – 8 breathing will help you slow down, lower your heart rate and provide you with a powerful approach if you are feeling anxious.
It is hard to develop a plan, work out next-steps, get priorities in order, feel safe or show kindness to others when our hearts and minds are collectively racing.
Twice a day let’s try this. Four cycles to start. 4 – 7 – 8. Just breathe.
Just a minute now.